Mathematics helps in developing an analytic bent of mind and aids in better organization of ideas and appropriate expression of thoughts. However at a more general level, , the importance of mathematics for a common man is somehow used, whenever he visits banks, shopping malls, post offices, or deals with business transactions, trade and commerce. We add mathematics to some of our recreational activities, like puzzles, riddles, and so on.
Do any of us realize the importance of maths in our daily life? This is a subject that is applied to every field and profession. Without the application of maths, no field or profession is complete.
To help us realize this why don’t we imagine a world without maths?
1. Living your days without a watch and a calendar. Both the watch and the calendar use numbers, the most basic and important of mathematics characters. How would you know the time of the day? Wouldn’t you miss your own birthday without a calendar?
- You go to a shop to buy something but since this is a world without maths, you don’t know what money is, you don’t know measurements. So what do you do?
- Zoologist assessing the number of animal species on earth or a doctor checking your heartbeat they have to know how to count.
- Can an engineer build a bridge ? A quantity checker chemist cannot prepare medicines if he cannot accurately measure the quantity of each chemical.
- We wouldn’t have had markets and businesses without math as the world of trade runs on money. And as a country’s development depends heavily on its economic growth, wouldn’t that be a problem?
- There wouldn’t be any more advancements of technology as each sector of technology directly or indirectly employs the application of mathematics. We are all so used to technology of various types that it will be difficult to live in a world without computers, television, mobile phones, and even electricity which is generated in powerhouses using the elements of maths.
Probably, without maths, life would have been quite complicated.
Despite the importance of mathematics there are so many people who resist getting to know and understand it. If you have the basic concepts of mathematics right then the subject isn’t difficult at all. Maths is not complicated like people believe it to be, it is just their attitude that makes it so.
“Mathematics is the gate and key of the sciences. …Neglect of mathematics works injury to all knowledge, since he who is ignorant of it cannot know the other sciences or the things of this world.” By Roger Bacon